Friday, August 31, 2012

Hudson, sir. He's Hicks.

I had planned to skip Prometheus and just wait for the dvd, but then discovered that it's still running in Montreal and, hey, it's in good old 2D, so I gave it a try. Sigh...

I still find it strange that Hollywood today can spend hundreds of millions of dollars on films with scripts that barely exist. Why am I supposed to care about these characters again? Shouldn't they at least behave slightly logically? In Alien you could actually believe in the characters, the same with Aliens. Another thing: why didn't they give Noomi Rapace a Swedish name to explain her accent? One of  the other characters had a Scottish accent after all. Why should all characters in films taking place in the future sound like Americans? What happened to Europe? There's no IKEA in 2099?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it is a movie that not even Michael Fassbender can save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film looks great and Fassbender is good, but a weak script is a weak script.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite liked this movie. The characters aren't really strong, and indeed why should you care about them? But I did like the mystery and exploration part. The idea that life on earth is just an experiment of some not so nice Alien beings that went wrong. The thought that we are a race of unwanted children. We shouldn't have existed in the first place and no one is looking out for us. In fact the race that created us, wants to destroy us. I found that idea quite refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some nice ideas in the film, but as a whole I found it to be frustrating. The characters don't need to be sympathetic, in Alien most of them weren't, but if they just seem like puppets moved around by the writer, why should you care what happens to them? Also, the pretentious dialogues combined with the scientists behaving so stupidly just rubbed me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete