Thursday, October 14, 2010

12 Angry Men

A boy is accused of killing his father. If he is found guilty he will get the death sentence. 11 jurors believe he did it. The twelvth, Henry Fond, is not so sure. Directed by Sidney Lumet.

This is a film that made a big impression on me when I saw it on tv as a kid. It's a very clausdrophobic film, mostly taking place in a single room. I still remember the very powerful moment of Fonda walking out of the court building at the end. That one man can make a difference like that was a very strong idea for the young Jason. It's still a very good film, with solid acting by all the jurors, including Lee J. Cobb. Henry Fonda, of course, was born to play this part. I can't really think of any American actors today having the same qualities of decency and honesty. Morgan Freeman would be the closest, I suppose. If I was ever found with a dead prostitute in my bed I wouldn't mind having him in the jury. And, by the way, I'd use this film as exhibit A in the case against colourfilm, 3D and all that silliness. Black and white images pull you into to the story somehow, it makes you see things clearer, and isn't that what it's all about?

2 comments:

  1. Hear hear. I still can't believe 3d is really the next big thing. I was watching toy story 3 in cinemas and kept wondering "why am i wearing these stupid glasses? don't add anything to the experience! i just want to watch a good story".

    I love the dead prostitute in your bed thing. There's a story there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen only one film in 3D, Avatar. I got a headache from wearing the glasses, and then just kept waiting for the film to end so I could leave.

    ReplyDelete